Saturday 28 January 2012

Change.

What is change? Well, in the dictionary change is defined in many different ways, for example; to make different, to replace with another, to become different and to undergo transformation. I have been through many changes in my life from moving to changing lifestyles. I always thought as a kid that change was horrible. I remember when my parents decided to move to the South side of Lethbridge, which meant that I would be switching schools. I was unbelievably upset with them. We fought constantly about how this change was going to effect my life. Well, not my entire life, but my social life. It was the summer before 9th grade and I had my little group of friends and I was NOT ready to make new ones especially right before high school. So I put up the biggest fight of my life to not move to a different school. As you can guess, that didn’t work. I ended up attending Gilbert Patterson for my last year of junior high. To be honest, it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I made quick friends with some girls who were pretty popular so I had an instant group of friends. But at the time I literally thought the world was over. One of the things I love about change and the whole process is that no matter what you are changing your life usually gets better, or improves.

I also had an experience where I changed my lifestyle from one side of the spectrum to the other. It was really hard for me. There were some nights where I would just sit at home in my room and feel sad for myself. I had lost some really good friendships during this experience, but eventually gained them back. I’m a people person, I love having people around me at all times, so during this time when I felt like I had no one was really hard for me to go through. After a few weeks, my sisters came into play and became my best friends. I never really knew how much my decisions were affecting their lives. I felt like I had let them down in a way. Fortunately, they have been able to learn for my mistakes, just like I have. I’m glad that we all have the opportunity to change in which ever way we can.

I was rereading a talk from this past General Conference about repentance by Elder Todd Christofferson. It was a really good reminder of how repentance is a good thing, and that it should be accepted with a celebration instead of the cold shoulder. Through this process we can improve ourselves and become a better and more joyous person. Now who wouldn’t want that?! I am so grateful for the opportunity I have had to go through this myself. I’m grateful for the challenges and trials that brought this all on. I’ve been told since I was little that I was the kind of person that had to try everything before I can determine if it was something right or wrong. It’s a curse in some ways, but a blessing in others. I know the consequences in the end, but I try it anyways. Being able to apply the doctrines and principles of this gospel in my own life has made them so much more real for me.

Change is something that we should all accept in our lives, even when it comes at a time when we are not willing to. That usually means we need it. Come what may, and love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment